Caregiver's Home Companion Caring for someone who has trouble hearing the phone?

Posted February 7, 2008

Ask An Expert

Professional Caregiving: Getting Insured

Q. I am working as a professional caregiver, as an independent contractor. I do not work for any one client on a regular basis; instead I freelance and fill in as needed. I assist people as a travel companion when needed. My question is: what is the standard for a freelance caregiver with regards to liability insurance coverage to protect the caregiver? Do you know of any insurance organizations specifically focused on dealing with this need? Thank you for your assistance.

TJL, Captain Cook, Hawaii.

A. No company I know of offers liability insurance for the companion or homemaker level of caregiver, which is the level you described. Liability insurance policies are offered to "skilled" caregivers at the certified nursing assistant (CNA) level and above, but carriers and underwriters vary widely by state, so your best bet would be to check with your state insurance commission.

This answer is provided by Steve McCloskey, president of Caregiver’s Home Solutions, an in-home elder care business based in Fairfield, Connecticut. He can be reached at

Return to Ask an Expert Questions List

Email or share this story Bookmark and Share

© 2008 Pederson Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Commercial use, redistribution or other forms of reuse of this information is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Pederson Publishing.

Prescription Card
Privacy Statement Contact Us Site Map Products & Services Our Partners Advertise
© Copyright 2003-2020. Pederson Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.