Caregiver's Home Companion Caring for someone who has trouble hearing the phone?

Posted September 15, 2006

Ask An Expert

Care Resources: Who to Turn to With Assisted Living Complain

Q. I recently put a sick relative in a place called Miller Beach Terrace in Gary Indiana. Right after we put him in, his wallet came up missing. Shortly after that, someone threw all of his belongings out of his truck. When we complained about it, we were treated very rudely. We were told that he would have to leave, etc. Who do we contact about this kind of behavior?

Isetta E., Gary IN

A. Thank you for your question. I think we can help. You may forward your formal complaint to:

Stephen A. Smith, Director
Department of Aging
Family and Social Services Administration
P.O. Box 7083
402 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7083

The general information phone number is (317) 233-4454 and the fax is (317) 233-4693.

Make sure that you are very specific about your facts. Send your correspondence Certified Mail, and Return Receipt Requested. Also send a copy of the letter to the facilities administrator. Good luck.

This answer is provided by Jack Halpern, MPS, LNHA, an eldercare
advocate and a licensed nursing home administrator. Halpern, a nationally
recognized expert on eldercare issues, is the author of many articles on
eldercare and nursing home abuse, and is the CEO of My Elder Advocate.

His website is, and he can be reached at


Return to Ask an Expert Questions List

Email or share this story Bookmark and Share

© 2006 Pederson Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Commercial use, redistribution or other forms of reuse of this information is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Pederson Publishing.

Prescription Card
Privacy Statement Contact Us Site Map Products & Services Our Partners Advertise
© Copyright 2003-2020. Pederson Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.