Caregiver's Home Companion Free captioning phone for those with hearing loss.
The Caregiver's  Home Companion
 HOME PAGE  SEARCH Articles Timely Tips In the News Practical Caregiving Monthly Newsletters Go

January 26, 2009
When Mom Wants to Break Up Your Relationship

January 5, 2009
When the Inevitable Moving Day Comes for Mom and Dad

December 15, 2008
Running Ragged in Caregiving Runaround

December 1, 2008
Getting a Handle on Your Own Stress

Read Jean's Previous Articles

Take Our PollThe Caregiver's Marketplace

Shop Now in the
Caregiver's e-Mall

Our Caregiver's e-Mall is filling up with great stores and a growing number of items just in time for the holidays. Whether you browse and find a book or tape to help you with caregiving, or come across a wonderful gift for a friend or family member, the e-Mall can be your source for easy shopping and gift-giving.

So, click on the dark blue Caregiver's e-Mall buttons throughout our site and enter a comfortable, secure shopping experience with major merchants while avoiding the hassle of having to find a parking place or matching your shopping hours with someone else's. Our mall is just a click away and is open 24 hours every day.

Watch for additional stores opening in the e-Mall soon!



Posted: January 02, 2006

Practical Caregiving

The Human (Caregiving) Condition -- Touching Women, Using Others' Money

We're starting the new year with a couple of caregiver dilemmas pulled from my e-mailbag.
This week, we're posed with the questions of how to treat a stroke victim and dementia patient who can't keep his hands off of women he meets -- literally -- and how to wrest away the power of attorney a sibling holds before she uses up all their mother's financial resources.
Tough questions, both of these, but let's see if we can't start the new year right with some helpful advice.
Dear Jean:
My husband had several small strokes that affected his mind. He now has dementia. I don't know how to handle the problems he now has. He gets very emotional for no reason. When we are in line at the grocery store, he will suddenly start weeping! He goes up to every child (he sees) and tries to talk to them. He also tries to put his hand on the hair of women, or hold their hand! I have tried to explain that he shouldn't do those things, but he doesn't pay any attention to me. Even when the women tell him to stay away, he just laughs at them. What can I do?
Mary Lou H., Fort Worth, Texas
Dear Mary Lou:
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's problems. You are not alone. There are many people with the same problems.
When someone has a stroke (whether minor or major), they become more emotional. They may cry or laugh at inappropriate times, and they can't control it. Don't get upset with him or tell him to stop doing that. It is usually as embarrassing to him as it is to you. Try not to let him know it bothers you. When he says something about it, explain that it is the result of a stroke and that it might improve as the effects of the stroke improve. Of course, it may not improve, but with the dementia, he doesn't need to worry about that.
As his dementia progresses, you will have to take over and become his "parent." That is a very hard thing to do because you are dealing with your own emotions, too, but you will have to become that loving parent.
I have seen other men with dementia act toward women the way your husband does. They just don't seem to understand what's happening. What I've been told is that you should sit down with your husband and explain that there are some things he can't do or he will get in trouble. He won't understand why he can't do those things because his mind is regressing, and along with that his understanding is regressing. He might be drawn to children because he feels he is on their level. His intentions toward women are not wrong. He just doesn't understand what touching a woman's hair or holding their hand implies. He is probably acting like he would act toward his mother when he was small.
Sit down and talk to him before you go where he acts inappropriately, and then you will probably need to remind him while you are there. Do not ask him if he remembers the conversation. That will just frustrate him because he may not remember it. Gently tell him that he can't do that. And then, say it again when you need to. And again, and again, etc.
Try to put your own feelings aside, and remember that he needs your help so very much. Deal with your own emotions when he is asleep. If you get upset around him, he will remember your being upset by him and that will only make things worse. Sometimes negative things stay in a person's mind longer than positive things.
Dear Jean:
My younger sister has power of attorney for my Mother's legal affairs, although she doesn't do what she is supposed to do. Mother is 93 years old with dementia. My husband and I have cared for her 24/7 for several years. My sister insists that Mother be put in a nursing home, even though the doctor advises against it. My sister has spent Mother's money on herself, and she tells Mother, my husband and me what to do and what not to do. She gets upset if we take Mother to the dentist, out to eat, or any place else that requires the use of Mother's money. She visits Mother once a month for a couple hours.
The tension between my sister and me is getting stronger all the time. Mother has asked her to turn over the power of attorney to me, but she won't. What can we do to take over the power of attorney and anything else we need to do to take good care of Mother? I only want what's best for Mother.
Geri R., El Paso, Texas
Dear Geri:
It sounds like you need help. There is no way your sister should be telling you or your husband what to do. Since you are the one taking care of your mother, I would also question her telling her what to do.
Why don't you check into the following places to find out what you can do to improve the situation? When you talk to anyone, ask if they know of other places you should contact.
  1. Contact a good lawyer. If you don't know one, check out these websites:
    National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys If your sister makes it hard for you to afford a lawyer, go to
  2.  Check the National Guardianship Association. They may know what you can do.
  3. Check the National Center on Elder Abuse. The fact is that your sister's spending of your Mother's money on herself might be considered elder abuse.
 I am sure there is a solution. You just need to enquire various places to find out how to change things.

© 2006 Pederson Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Commercial use, redistribution or other forms of reuse of this information is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Pederson Publishing.

Email or share this story Bookmark and Share


Please send me your questions, comments and issues regarding the practical side of caregiving at, and remember to take advantage of our professionals and experts in the Ask an Expert section of our website. You'll find it in the left column on our homepage.

Click here to read past columns

Back to Top


Prescription Card

Free Survival Guide

Subscribe Today!

Privacy Statement Contact Us Site Map Products & Services Our Partners Advertise
© Copyright 2003-2011. Pederson Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.